Preserving the Historic Beechwood Church
Opportunities to Give
Any size contribution to the Beechwood Church
Capital Campaign is greatly appreciated and will bring us closer to our goal of $400,000.
Special recognition will be given to supporters at the following donor levels:
$1,000 - Squire Aaron Pratt: Included on donor plaque
$5,000 - Konohassett: Individual or family named pew
$10,000 - Independence 2: Named exhibit room
Donate by check: please download the
donation/pledge form, complete, and mail to
Cohasset Historical Society
PO Box 627 • Cohasset, MA 02025
Donate online: Click here.
Cohasset, rich in history, has many artifacts that tell the story of Cohasset life throughout the years.
Since 1928, the Cohasset Historical Society has preserved and presented the town's history for residents and visitors to enjoy.
Part of the Society’s collection includes two antique fire-fighting apparatus, the Independence and the Konohassett (see below). These hand tub pumpers are among the most valuable items in the Society’s collection. Their design and original intricate detailing are highly impressive, and the story of how the pumpers became a part of Cohasset history is equally remarkable.
The Society looked at many options for a permanent home for the pumpers. Finally, a suitable building became available as a location for displaying these antique pieces - The Beechwood Church.
The 1867 Beechwood Meetinghouse and Museum, like our other properties, will help to fulfill the mission of the Society to preserve and promote Cohasset's heritage. The church, located just three miles from Cohasset Village, served the residents of Beechwood - the town's thriving farming community from the 1800s until the early 1900s – along with the general store, post office, school district, and fire station. Now the church remains the only historic public building in Beechwood.
An Opportunity for the Society
The Beechwood Meetinghouse and Museum – with its wonderful light-filled space – is ideal as a fire and police museum for the Society's collection and exhibits on the history of the Beechwood community. The building also will once again become a community meetinghouse, open for lectures, events, and group functions.
To read the entire history of the church and the pumpers, download the brochure.
The Independence 2, purchased in 1849, was Cohasset’s first fire-fighting engine.
The Konohassett, built in 1856, was purchased from the Glen Cove, New York fire department by the Cohasset Volunteer Veteran Firemen’s Association in 1911 for use in muster competitions.